Friday 27 May 2011

Ladymags

Having just completed an amazing four or so weeks at a ladymag (no names, please, I am British), I have been contemplating the state of womens magazines in general.

Have been lurking around on xojane after Jezebel slammed it; have to say, apart from the lack of content from a mammoth devourer such as myself (if I like something I tend to read through eighty pages of archives until I am even blinder than usual), I do like it.

The title 'My rapist befriended me on facebook and all I got was this lousy article' would make for a pretty hilarious t-shirt, is all I'm saying. Emily, think you're missing out on a major business coup there.

I think that established ladymags have trouble with reaching the same kind of intimacy that online ventures like Jezebel and xojane do, simply because they have bigger corporations like Conde Nast that they could potentially royally piss off, and you can't talk about labia hygiene on one page and have a Tods ad on the next. (Unless Gwyneth likes that idea)

Also, more established 'brands' tend to want to present their company as a unifying voice, rather than a lot of women who disagree a lot of the time. Hmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment